- Open Access
Revisiting clinical trials on glycemic control and cardiovascular risk
© Ferreira; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2009
- Received: 26 April 2009
- Accepted: 28 September 2009
- Published: 28 September 2009
The most relevant clinical trials, assessing the role of glycemic control in reducing cardiovascular risk, are examined. The UKPDS was the first to address this issue. More recent trials (ACCORD, ADVANCE and VADT) are controversial and evidences did not support that strict glycemic control (reflected by normal glycated hemoglobin) exclusively is sufficient to reduce cardiovascular risk in complicated individuals with long-term type 2 diabetes mellitus. Some possible reasons for controversies are included.
- Glycemic Control
- Intensive Therapy
- High Cardiovascular Risk
Nothing to declare.
- Gu K, Cowie CC, Harris MI: Diabetes and decline in heart disease mortality in US adults. JAMA. 1999, 281: 1291-1297. 10.1001/jama.281.14.1291.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stamler J, Vaccaro O, Neaton JD: Wentworth. Diabetes, other risk factors, and 12-yr cardiovascular mortality for men screened in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trail. Diabetes Care. 1993, 16 (2): 434-444. 10.2337/diacare.16.2.434.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Haffner SM, Lehto S, Ronnemaa T, Pyorala K, Laakso M: Mortality from coronary heart disease insubjects with type 2 diabetes and in nondiabetic subjects with and without prior myocardial infarction. NEJM. 1998, 339 (4): 229-234. 10.1056/NEJM199807233390404.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group: Intensive blood glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). Lancet. 1998, 352: 837-853. 10.1016/S0140-6736(98)07019-6.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Gæde P, Vedel P, Parving HH, Pedersen O: Intensified multifactorial intervention in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and microalbuminuria: the Steno type 2 randomised study. Lancet. 1999, 353: 617-622. 10.1016/S0140-6736(98)07368-1.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gerstein HC, Miller ME, Byington RP, Golf DC, Bigger JT, Buse JB, Cushman WC, Genuth S, Ismail-Beigi F, Grimm RH, Probstfield JL, Simons-Morton DG, Friedwald WT, Action to Control Cardiovascualr Risk in Diabetes Study Group: Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes. NEJM. 2008, 358: 2545-2559. 10.1056/NEJMoa0802743.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Patel A, MacMahon S, Chalmers J, Neal B, Billot L, Woodward M, Marre M, Cooper M, Glasziou P, Grobbee D, Hamet P, Harrap S, Heller S, Liu L, Mancia G, Mogensen CE, Pan C, Poulter N, Rodgers A, Williams B, Bompoint S, de Galan BE, Joshi R, Travert F, ADVANCE Collaborative Group: Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2008, 358: 2560-2572. 10.1056/NEJMicm066227.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Duckworth W, Abraira C, Moritz T, Reda D, Emannele N, Reaven PD, Zieve FJ, Marks J, Davis SN, Hayward R, Warren SR, Goldman S, McCarren M, Vikek ME, Henderson WG, Huang GD, VADT Investigators: Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2009, 360 (2): 129-139. 10.1056/NEJMoa0808431.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stratton IM, Adler AI, Neil AW, Matthews DR, Manley SE, Cull CA, Hadden D, Turner RC, Holman RR, UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group: Association of glycaemia with macrovascular and microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 35): prospective observational study. BMJ. 2000, 321: 405-412. 10.1136/bmj.321.7258.405.PubMed CentralView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gæde P, Lund-Andersen H, Parving HH, Pedersen O: Effect of a multifactorial intervention on mortality in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2008, 358 (6): 580-591. 10.1056/NEJMoa0706245.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stettler C, Allemann S, Juni P, Cull CA, Holman RR, Egger M, Krahenbuhl S, Diem P: Glycemic control and macrovascular disease in types 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus: meta-analysis of randomized trials. Am Heart J. 2006, 152: 27-38. 10.1016/j.ahj.2005.09.015.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nattan DM, Cleary PA, Blaklund JY, Genuth SM, Lachin JM, Orchard TJ, Raskin P, Zinman B, Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) Study Research Group: Intensive diabetes treatment and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2653, 353 (25): 2643-2005.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.